All wagers at -110 odds unless otherwise noted. My picks are in bold, with that team’s spread attached. Visit Odds Shark for updated lines throughout each game week.
Season record: 53-45. Last week I went 11-10, despite losing yet another underdog wager that went to overtime (Kansas State vs. Texas).
I’ll be glued to the TV for the noon and 3:30 ET showings. But what an awful slate of night games we have this week. It would be a good time to do something other than watch football. Pay attention to whom teams have in Week 8 — there are several look-ahead spots to avoid.
1. Auburn -6.5 at LSU: I rarely lay points on the road, but I do not believe LSU can block Auburn.
2. Texas Tech at West Virginia -3.5: The Mountaineers were game last weekend against TCU and should get the home win here.
3. Oklahoma -8 vs. Texas: Was Oklahoma looking ahead to this game when it was upset by Iowa State? I suspect so, and the Sooners will score too many points for the Longhorns.
4. Washington at Arizona State +17.5: Arizona State as a large home dog has been a strong angle under Todd Graham.
5. New Mexico +2 at Fresno State: I believe the wrong team is favored. New Mexico’s rushing offense is really good.
6. Tulane at FIU +14: The Panthers can play some decent defense, and as much as I like Willie Fritz’ Green Wave squad, this is a lot of points to be giving on the road.
7. UCLA at Arizona +2.5: Why in the world is Arizona a home underdog, coming off an upset of Colorado?
8. NC State -10.5 at Pitt: The Wolfpack have been good to me this year and are on extra rest, having played last Thursday. Additionally, there is no look-ahead situation for NCSU since its bye is next week.
9. Texas A&M +3 at Florida: Florida’s defense is allowing 5.1 yards/carry to running backs and has yet to see a QB who can run like Kellen Mond.
10. Northwestern -3 at Maryland: Northwestern can shut down the run and make the opponent throw. Maryland cannot throw.
11. Coastal Carolina +18 at Arkansas State: I figured this would be a spread under two touchdowns.
12. Northern Illinois -5 at Buffalo: Buffalo is having all sorts of issues throwing the football and shouldn’t be able to keep up with the Huskies.
13. Boise State +7 at San Diego State: Boise State does a good job of limiting big plays, while San Diego State lives on big plays.
14. Michigan State at Minnesota +4.5: Getting up for this one could be tough for the Spartans after upsetting the Wolverines.
15. Arkansas +31.5 at Alabama: Alabama was laying this many against Ole Miss, which is a lesser team than Arkansas. The Hogs were the victims of three defensive touchdowns last week, making their scoring margin against South Carolina a little deceptive.
16. Missouri +30.5 at Georgia: This is just a ton of points for Georgia to lay.
17. Middle Tennessee State at UAB +6: UAB is sneakily not terrible in its first year back in the FBS.
18. UConn +10 at Temple: Temple should not be trusted to lay double digits against anyone.
19. Akron +14.5 at Western Michigan: The Zips are not quite as bad as people think, and WMU just played an exhausting, seven-overtime game.
20. Florida State at Duke Under 44.5: Florida State is without several of its top offensive players, and Duke is without its left tackle, who has started for three seasons.
21. UNLV +7.5 at Air Force: Air Force is coming off a really tough game against rival Navy.