About 3,200 high school football players will sign National Letters of Intent with FBS programs by the end of National Signing Day. Most of them will be the most famous members of their own families. Some of them have parents you already know.
Sons of former NFL players
- Five-star cornerback Patrick Surtain Jr. is the son of former All-Pro corner Patrick Surtain. The younger Surtain is the highest-rated cornerback recruit in the recruiting rankings era. His dad was his high school coach at American Heritage in South Florida and recently interviewed for a job at Alabama, though the Tide didn’t hire him. Surtain is expected to commit to LSU on Signing Day.
- Five-star Ohio State defensive tackle signee Taron Vincent is the son of former NFL DB Troy Vincent, who’s currently the league’s executive vice president of football operations. Taron is the best DT in the class, thanks to his size and burst.
- Four-star Florida State cornerback signee Asante Samuel Jr. is the son of another former All-Pro corner, also of the same name. Asante Samuel was a key defensive back for the Patriots during the early years of the Belichick-Brady dynasty.
- Four-star South Carolina cornerback signee Jaycee Horn is the son of four-time Pro Bowl Saints receiver Joe Horn. Even though Jaycee plays defense, his ball skills make it clear that he’s got a receiver’s genes.
- Four-star Miami cornerback signee Al Blades Jr. is the son of the former Miami and 49ers defensive back of the same name. The Blades family has produced a bunch of star football players. Al’s uncle, Bennie, was a star safety at Miami, like his dad was.
- WHO? MIKE JONES? Four-star Clemson linebacker commit Mike Jones Jr. is the son of a nine-year NFL defender Mike Jones, who went to NC State.
- Four-star Texas A&M guard signee Luke Matthews is the latest in football’s first family of offensive linemen. Matthews’ dad, Bruce, is a Pro Football hall of famer. Falcons offensive lineman Jake and Packers linebacker Clay are part of the clan, too.
- Three-star Penn State defensive tackle signee Judge Culpepper is the son of former NFL defensive tackle Brad Culpepper.
- Three-star Boston College offensive tackle signee Tyler Vrabel is the son of former Patriots linebacker and current Titans head coach Mike Vrabel.
- Boston College running back signee Javian Dayne is the son of Ron Dayne.
Sons of college coaches
- Four-star North Carolina WR signee Jordyn Adams is the son of the Heels’ defensive line coach, Deke Adams. Jordyn’s also a star baseball player and can throw down dunks.
- Three-star Clemson linebacker signee Jake Venables is the son of Tigers defensive coordinator Brent Venables, one of the most intense assistants in the sport.
- Three-star Toledo quarterback signee Carter Bradley is the son of former Jaguars head coach and current Chargers defensive coordinator Gus Bradley.
- Three-star Washington linebacker signee Jack Sirmon is the son of Cal linebackers coach Peter Sirmon, whom Louisville recently fired as defensive coordinator.
- Three-star Oklahoma receiver commit Drake Stoops is the son of former Sooners coach Bob Stoops, as well as nephew to OU defensive coordinator Mike Stoops.
- Urban Meyer’s son, Jake Meyer, is going to Cincinnati to play baseball. That’s cool, too.
Sons of prominent rappers
- Five-star cornerback Olaijah Griffin is the son of rapper Warren G.
Sons of ESPN play-by-play announcers
- Boston College kicker commit John Tessitore is the son of broadcaster Joe Tessitore. (Thanks to A.J. Black for the information on various BC recruits.)
Distant relatives of former presidential candidates
- BYU receiver commit and Arizona State target Gunner Romney is family to Mitt.
Am I missing anyone?
I bet I am. Let me know, and I’ll add to this post.