LaPORTE — An Indiana state historical marker designating the former site of LaPorte University will be unveiled and dedicated in a ceremony at 2 p.m. local time March 30 at the corner of Clay and Harrison streets.
The public is invited to attend.
LaPorte University was Indiana’s first medical school, starting in about 1841. Where the marker will be placed was the final site of the short-lived university, which was destroyed by fire in 1856.
The original college stood downtown along what is present-day Lincoln Way. About 1848, a new medical school building was built near the Clay and Harrison intersection.
The former university was nominated for a marker by Leigh Morris, a former LaPorte mayor and former president and CEO of LaPorte Hospital. Placement of a marker has been approved by the Indiana Historical Bureau, which oversees the state’s historical marker program.
The university’s faculty attracted students from across the country, including William W. Mayo, who later established a private medical practice in Minnesota that grew into the famed Mayo Clinic.
The medical program consolidated with Indiana Central Medical College in Indianapolis in 1851. Morris’ research shows the university graduated about 100 students between 1842 and 1849.