Recruiting giveth, and recruiting taketh away.
Thursday afternoon, the Arizona Wildcats received a commitment from one player in the 2018 class. By nighttime, the Wildcats lost a different recruit.
Pima College defensive back Haki Woods announced on Twitter that he’d be reopening his recruitment, just 10 days after he verbally committed to play for the Wildcats. Arizona received a commitment from receiver Zach Williams earlier on Thursday.
“This doesn’t mean that I won’t be going to the University of Arizona,” Woods wrote. “I just want to give myself some time to think and take the opportunity to visit other universities and make sure that I’m making the best decision for myself.”
After both Williams and Woods’ decisions on Thursday, Arizona’s 2018 recruiting class now stands at 16 players.
It is still possible that Woods — a 6-foot-3, 192-pounds, three-star defensive back — considers Arizona, though it is rare for players to recommit to schools they’ve already backed away from. Since Woods’ initial commitment to Arizona, other schools have started expressing interest in Woods, though he hasn’t announced any new scholarship offers on social media.
Woods also wrote that Arizona “has some great coaches” and listed UA assistants Calvin Magee, Marcel Yates, Rod Smith and recruiting coordinator Chris Singletary.
“Now I just want to see where I fit in at best and choose the best institution that I’ll have the most success at, with the best opportunity of achieving my goal of reaching the NFL,” Woods wrote.
Woods now becomes the third player to decommit from Arizona this cycle, joining defensive end Adam Plant and defensive tackle Josh Walker.
Woods has managed 32 tackles, one for loss, two pass breakups and two blocked kicks this season for the 2-6 Aztecs.
Here’s a quick look Arizona’s class to date:
ARIZONA 2018 COMMITS (16)
- Armani Adams, S, St. Petersburg, Fla. (Lakewood)
- Trey Adams, WR, Frisco, Texas (Wakeland)
- McKenzie Barnes, DB, Fresno, Calif. (Edison)
- Jaiden Dockery, S, Lancaster, Texas
- Jhevon Hill, DB-ATH, San Bernardino, Calif. (Cajon)
- Martell Irby, RB, San Diego (Morse)
- Mykee Irving, DT, Calabasas, Calif.
- Issaiah Johnson, LB, Los Alamitos, Calif.
- Jamarye Joiner, QB/ATH, Vail (Cienega)
- Donovan Laie, OT, Oceanside, Calif.
- Thomas Marcus, WR/ATH, San Diego (Horizon)
- Jake Peters, TE, Rancho Santa Margarita, Calif. (Santa Margarita)
- Jaden Mitchell, WR, Las Vegas (Desert Pines)
- Darrius Smith, RB, Pearland, Texas (Glenda Dawson)
- David Watson, OT, Tucson (Amphitheater)
- Zach Williams, ATH, Johns Creek, Ga.