Salford University evacuated after reports of ‘suspicious package’

Salford University evacuated after reports of 'suspicious package'
(Picture: Anna Gowthorpe)

Salford University has been evacuated after reports of a suspicious package.

The university confirmed that people were being told to leave three buildings on Peel Park campus.

Theresa May praises ‘unbreakable spirit’ of Manchester in condolences book

One student tweeted that police officers were ‘all over the place’.

The university warned students to evacuate several buildings in a series of tweets.

They confirmed that police were in attendance.

Greater Manchester Police told Metro.co.uk that they were investigating, and an official statement will be released shortly.

It follows last night’s terror attack at an Ariana Grande concert at Manchester Arena.

At least 22 people were killed and 119 injured when 22-year-old suicide bomber Salman Abedi detonated an IED near the venue entrance.

Many of the victims were children and young teenagers.

More to follow

Here’s what we know about the Manchester attack so far:

Salford University evacuated after reports of 'suspicious package'

  • The attack was carried out by 22-year-old Salman Abedi.
  • Abedi was a lone male suicide bomber who detonated an improvised explosive device.
  • 22 people have been killed and 59 were taken to hospital following the blast. Almost 120 people were injured in total.
  • Children are among the dead
  • The lone attacker died at the arena
  • Police are investigating whether he acted alone or was part of a network
  • It is the worst terrorist attack in the UK since 56 people were killed in the 7/7 London bombings in 2005.
  • The explosion rocked the Manchester Arena at the conclusion of a performance by the American star Ariana Grande.
  • Manchester Arena said the explosion happened outside the venue, as people began streaming from the doors.
  • Greater Manchester Police said they were called to the venue at around 10.33pm and approach roads were closed.
  • The blast is being treated as a terrorist incident.
  • More than 400 officers were deployed on the operation throughout Monday night.
  • Manchester Victoria station was evacuated and trains cancelled.
  • The victims are being treated at eight hospitals across Greater Manchester, Chief Constable Ian Hopkins said.
  • The Prime Minister condemned what was being treated as an ‘appalling terrorist attack’ and said she would chair a meeting of the Government’s emergency Cobra committee on Tuesday.
  • All national General Election campaigning was suspended after the explosion.
  • A controlled explosion was carried out by police at the Cathedral Gardens area near Manchester Arena shortly after 1.30am.
  • Police said the suspicious item at the centre of the controlled explosion was just abandoned clothing.
  • The first victim of the Manchester terror attack has been named as Georgina Callendar
  • Two more victims have since been named – 18-year-old student Georgina Bethany Callander, and eight-year-old Saffie Rose Roussos.
  • Police have arrested a man, 23, in connection with the terror attack at Manchester Arena.
    Salford University evacuated after reports of 'suspicious package'
    Britain’s Prime Minister Theresa May speaks outside 10 Downing Street (Picture: Reuters)

    Theresa May has made a statement in Downing Street following the Manchester attack. She said: ‘Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims and the families and friends of all those affected.

    ‘It is now beyond doubt that the people of Manchester and of this country have fallen victim to a callous terrorist attack, an attack that targeted some of the youngest people in our society with cold calculation.

    ‘This was among the worst terrorist incidents we have ever experienced in the United Kingdom.’

     See our Manchester attack coverage here.

Source