An Alabama toddler has died after falling inside an in-ground grease pit at an ice cream shop.
Sadie Andrews, 3, died of accidental drowning, the Lee County Coroner told WRBL, when she fell into a six-foot deep grease pit at Bruster’s Ice Cream.
Police said they received a call on Saturday afternoon about a missing toddler at the Auburn eatery. When they arrived a worker at the ice cream shop was performing CPR on the unconscious girl.
She was rushed to East Alabama Medical Center where she was pronounced dead in the emergency room.
Authorities said surveillance video showed the child playing behind the ice cream shop with two of her siblings when she fell through a lid covering an in-ground grease pit.
Coroner Bill Harris said Sadie was stuck in the container for around five to 10 minutes before she was found.
The family posted a YouCaring page that has raised more than $12,000 for funeral expenses.
“Our deepest condolences go to the family of the child who tragically died Saturday,” Auburn Bruster’s owners Lance and Kara Latham posted on Facebook. “They are acquaintances of ours and have been regular customers. We are truly heartbroken that this happened. Our thoughts also are with our young crewmember who tried to revive the child. Like all of us, he is quite shaken. The entire Bruster family is horribly saddened by this tragic accident.”